Moving from Washington DC to New York City can be a daunting task, but with careful planning and preparation, it can be a smooth and stress-free experience. Here are 15 points to check before your move from DC to NYC:
- Research your new neighborhood, including schools, public transportation, grocery stores, and other amenities.
- Determine your moving budget, taking into account the cost of hiring a moving company, packing supplies, and any other associated expenses.
- Choose a reputable moving company with experience in long-distance moves and positive customer reviews.
- Schedule your move date in advance to ensure availability.
- Notify your utility companies and service providers in DC to disconnect services at your current residence and connect services at your new home.
- Notify your landlord or property manager and follow any necessary steps to terminate your lease or rental agreement.
- Change your mailing address with the post office to ensure your mail is forwarded to your new home.
- Sort and organize your belongings, determining which items you’ll be taking with you, donating, selling or discarding.
- Purchase packing supplies, including boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and markers.
- Begin packing well in advance of your move date, labeling boxes by room and contents.
- Arrange for storage if necessary and research storage facilities in DC or NYC area.
- Prepare your car for the move if you plan to drive, and have it serviced and inspected for the long-distance drive.
- Confirm your move date with the moving company and ensure all boxes and items are packed and ready to go.
- Make a checklist of all items that need to be moved and double-check that everything has been loaded onto the moving truck.
- Conduct a final walkthrough of your DC residence, ensuring all items have been removed and the property is clean and in good condition.
By following these 15 points, you’ll be well-prepared for your move from DC to NYC and can enjoy a smooth and stress-free relocation.